The DCE of South Tongu Hon. Emmanuel Louis Agamah had a meeting with some cross-sections of stakeholders yesterday, Thursday, 26th March 2020 to form a Market Day Implementation Committee to oversee the operation of the two major markets in the district, namely Dabala and Sogakofe markets.
Also present at the meeting was the DCD of the District Assembly, Mr. Gilbert Avemegah.
The composition of the said committee is as follows:
1.The Assembly members, Sogakofe and Dabala.
2. Market Queens, Sogakofe and Dabala.
3. The Traditional Leaders Rep., Sogakofe, and Dabala
4. Revenue Supervisor of the District Assembly.
5. The District Assembly Task Force Chairman.
7. District Director of Health.
8. Unit Committees Rep., Sogakofe and Dabala.
9. The District Police and Fire Service.
After the formation of the Committee, they arrived at the following conclusions:
1. Both Sogakofe and Dabala markets shall be in operation every day. (Daily market)
2. Notwithstanding, the traditional market days (5 days) shall also be observed religiously.
3. In order to reduce the overcrowded situation in the Sogakofe market, there will be space out to the direction of TOYACE area and also to the lorry park
4. Space out in the market is in line with the President’s directive on the novel COVID-19 pandemic.
5. The team together with the DCE from tomorrow will be on airwaves for public awareness.
The DCE has charged the committee members to work assiduously to ensure the sustainability of the market reform system in the district.
He also explained to the committee members that, this reform will not only enhance a higher revenue collection but also enable the assembly to meet its revenue target resulting in accelerated infrastructure development in the district.
The visionary DCE, used this opportunity to inform that, South Tongu District is now the 3rd best performing District in the Volta region under his leadership and he hopes that through the help and hard work of everyone South Tongu shall become the best in the region before the end of the year.
Compiled by STAN MAWUDOE (Special Aide)
Edited by Rex Krampa